Friday, January 29, 2016

Ugh its a Broken Valve!!! Laundry Room Remodel

Well it happened yup the dreaded washing machine died so out it goes, but before I disconnect the machine I shut off the water to the house.  I know its not a necessary step because there are valves that can be closed, however, I didn't trust the valves as they were old.  I turned off the cold water valve pretty easily with a little force, but the hot water would not budge an inch.  I twisted it to open, still would not budge, then twisted it to close still nothing.  I added more pressure on the valve and it gave, I thought thank you Lord, and so I turned it some more and the stem broke off in my hand. It was stuck to the open position and thus couldn't turn the water back on. What a way to end a Saturday afternoon. 


There are many things I am but a plumber is not one of them.  After trying unsuccessfully to try to get a plumber to come out (earliest was Friday of the week), I decided to try it myself.  I used  enlarged the hole around the valve to try and unthread it from the pipe, unfortunately they were braised on, yes the threaded pipe was braised on.  I tried melting the solder using a propane torch. I held it on the valve for 5 minutes and using pliers (pipe wrench) tried to unseat it, but it would not budge. Only thing left to do is to cut the pipe.  


Had to make a 2' x 3' hole in the wall to access the pipes enough to remove the old valves (faucets).  What moron decided it was good to build the wall using two pieces of sheet rock?  After I sawed through both sheets of sheet rock I used my $3.95 pipe cutter to cut the pipes and used steel wool to clean the copper.  I removed the burs caused by the cut and even file the cut to make sure there are no sharp edges. 


Now the trouble starts:  I used Mueller ProLine Push Fittings (female coupler)  that I purchased from Lowes.  I purchased 4 (@ 8.57ea) just in case one or two were bad.  I also purchased a Washing Machine Box (34.95).   The push fittings are supposed to be quick and simple to use and require no glue or sweating the pipes together (this is why I purchased them as I am not good a sweating pipes).  I place the first one on the cold water line and screw in the new valve (test fitting) I then do the same to the hot water line and go outside and turn the water to check for leaks.  Well it didn't take long before I noticed that there was definitely a leak but not from the threaded valve but the push fitting that was said not to leak: FAIL!  It was not just a leak but a steady stream of water pouring from the bottom of the fitting.  So I try again seeing as how the cold water line is holding (has a small drip) compared to the hot water line.  I remove the fitting and try the next three.  I polish the pipe with the steel wool and made sure there was indeed no sharp edges that may break the seal.  All three push fittings FAILED.  

I called a guy I knew and he came over ( a simple job turns into hours) he attempted the same thing (he knew what he was doing as compared to myself)  however, the fittings all leaked. He said "well looks like we gonna have to solder them on I guess."   Solder kit 15.99 at Lowes and 12.00 at Home Depot.  I took the push fittings back to Lowes got my 32.00 back and went to Home Depot.  On the isle I saw the SharkBite push fittings.   I remembered reading online about SharkBite fitting and people using them so I decided to buy both the fittings and the solder kit.  But the guy had to leave so my brother was on his way to sweat the pipes.  He's much better at welding and soldering than I so it should be rather simple for him. 

But I wanted to try these fittings just one more time. So I got home and pushed the fittings on each line and re-tapped the threads of the valves with plumbers tape to do a test fit.  I turn the water on and Viola!!! no leaks.  So apparently the Push Fittings at Lowes (Mueller ProLine) are cheap, worthless imitations:  I guess I shouldn't say cheap at $8.57 each.  The SharkBite fittings were $5.67 each. 

Since the test fit worked and at this time its 7:45 in the evening and I am tired I undo the valves and place the washing machine box in the hole to make it semi presentable and screw everything back in place and turn the water on and check for leaks. Praise God no leaks.  So I secure the box to the wall for now until I can decide if I want to re-sheet rock the area or do a patch job.


All this because of a broken Valve.  Time+$$+Energy x Frustration = experience I guess.  But onto the next phase Tiling. 

The laundry room had linoleum tile in it and it was crumbling (another poor install job) and since we are getting new machines and have to take the old ones out I might as well get started. 


First, if you have a store called Dirt Cheap in your area check them out. They have great prices on tile and other things: you can even buy a pair of jeans for $2.00.  Yup $2.00 you just have to look through the racks of clothes - hopefully they have your size.

But they pretty much carry everything, tools, clothes, shelving, tile and flooring.  After spending 67.00 in supplies that includes a 50lbs bag of white mortar and 5 boxes of 20 x20 tile  we are all set to tile.

I still have not grouted that patio yet as the weather has been freezing lately so why not just start this and grout the other during weekend when it's supposed to be in the 70s.  I did not take a before picture of the laundry room, but trust me it was a mess.  But the tile turned out nicely.  It was a bare making the cuts for the legs of  the water heater stand, but I got that done.  The tiling of the laundry room only took two evenings a total of 8 hours.  Grouting will commence as soon as I can get the moment after work.

 


</





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.